domuslibri

Domus Libri

Winger - Andrew  Smith

It seems like Goodreads has, for the most part, overlooked this title, which is a very, very sad thing. Andrew Smith has done something truly amazing here with Winger and it's a bit sad when you see how few people have read this book.

I originally only picked Winger up because of my beloved Andrew Smith, but I was a bit apprehensive because well, the last two Smith books I've read were dark, depressing, and violent and I really couldn't see him write a contemporary book.

But the moment I started reading, I realised that I had made a huge mistake and that Winger was definitely as good, if not better, than the Marbury Lens series.

Winger follows the story of Ryan Dean West 'Winger' as he traverses high school as a fourteen year old junior. He recently landed himself in the Opportunity Hall of his boarding school, where they keep all the school's worst cases, after stealing his teacher's phone. And of course, he manages to get put in the room with his arch-enemy, Chas Becker.

Ryan Dean's voice is one of those rare ones that are very unique. It was a voice that made it extremely hard to drop the book even for a few minutes, and to quote Cecil Baldwin, 'and I fell in love instantly'. I knew from very early on that Winger was not going to be a book I'd forget anytime soon.

As a character, Ryan Dean West was easily one of the most relatable characters that I've ever 'met', yet also one of the most average characters out there. He wasn't special, not really - not in the way that most YA characters are. Ryan Dean was a very normal character, and I think that contributed much to his appeal because much of popular YA has the main character special somehow, whether they be vampires or the next Katniss Everdeen.

Smith's writing was absolutely superb. He manages to trap the essence of a young fourteen year old boy, with all its ups and downs, amazingly well. He takes you on an amazing ride that will make you laugh and fall deeper and deeper in love with the characters and the school and the book, but by the end, all the book's hidden severity comes at you like a wrecking ball and you're left gasping for air by the end.

Under all of Winger's hilarity and romance is a very deep story which I'm going to try and lightly step around because the last thing I want to do is spoil the discovery for you. If you want to know more about it, I've put it under a spoiler tag.

For most of the book, the subject of 'titles and labels' is briefly danced upon. It's talked about at times, but more often than not, only really there if you look for it. There are some quotes that really shout it out to you but chances are, you'll be more focussed on the humour of said quote than the severity and meaning.

“And then it's always that one word that makes you so different and puts you outside the overlap of everyone else; and that word is so fucking big and loud, it's the only thing anyone ever hears when your name is spoken.

And whenever that happens to us, all the other words that make us the same disappear in it's shadow.”

Certain things happen at the end and it kinda comes at you in a rush because for most of the book, it's been pretty light. Sure, shitty things happened but it was never really... bad, you know? There weren't any moments that made you wonder if there was more to the book but there were moments that were shocking, to say the least.

But at the end, suddenly everything hits you. I spent the last few pages in utter shell shock because the humour that had hidden everything before suddenly fell away and what I had was an utterly heartbreaking book.

(show spoiler)

One more aspect worth mentioning is the absolutely fantastic artwork. Sam Bosma's art is just brilliant, oh ym god, just look at it! The art adds another beautiful layer to the book.

In all, Winger is a book that I don't think I'll ever forget. I recommend it to everyone!