domuslibri

Domus Libri

Screwed - Laurie Plissner
For some reason, I'm really big on books about teens seriously screwing up. I don't know why but I really like to read about teens making dumbass decisions. So when I saw SCREWED on NetGalley, I was pretty happy. Sadly, it didn't work out for me.

SCREWED was about Grace, the daughter of two religious extremists, who screws up (no pun intended) and gets pregnant. She makes some really dumb choices (like thinking the guy she had sex with would actually care) and gets kicked out by her parents.

Well, this is all good and well until what happens after she gets kicked out. This book was supposed be harsh and real but instead, it ended up laughable. Grace gets kicked out and her neighbor, who turns out to be a freaking millionaire, takes her in.

There is an incredibly small chance that a nice millionaire lives on your street and would take you in. If I got kicked out, an extremely rich person who happens to have a really hot nephew certainly wouldn’t take me in. I would have much rather had Grace living on her own, adjusting to the real world.

I can hear the people crying, "but that would make for a boring story!" Yeah, my only answer to that is, I don't think it can get any more boring than what it was.

SCREWED isn't a bad book, it's a really stupid and boring book. I want to emphasis this fact. I don't think that SCREWED is a horrible book. It's a bad book, yes, but it's not a horrible book. It was just really boring because absolutely nothing happened. There wasn't any drama or action that made me really connect with the plot or the characters.

The main character was so lifeless. Her only personality trait was how utterly annoying she was sometimes. The love interest kept calling her "brave" but really, she didn't do anything brave. She had sex, she got pregnant, she got kicked out, and a millionaire took her in. Like Grace's friend said, she was living better now then she did when she lived with her parents.

The parents of the girl were complete stereotypes of that religious evil parents. That's all they are. It would have felt sort of anti-religion if it weren't for the fact that I know there are people like that. People who'd kick their kids out to protect the parent's image.

Plotwise, this book didn't bring anything new to the table. It was a very bland rehash of numerous other books. CRANK was another fairly standard book but it had soul to it. The characters had personality and the prose conveyed FEELINGS, something that Plissner just couldn't do.

SCREWED definitely screwed me over (oh my god, these jokes are never going to get old). I thought it could be something really new but it wasn't. I cannot recommend this book to anyone.